jeudi 26 septembre 2013

Meet Yann, recently graduated in business information systems management, living in Newcastle


Introduce yourself I am Yann Mualu, currently student at Northumbria University. I have been living in England for 3 years now, but not in a row, I have spent a year working in France after the completion of my Bachelor. Then I came back to complete two Masters in Newcastle and I am now looking for a job. Newcastle is a nice city for a student, we can go and see matches (Newcastle and Sunderland), go to the beach (when It is not too cold). The city has lots of activities to entertain students.

Why and when did you make the decision to go abroad? After the completion of my bachelor, I found a job quick enough back in France. However, the fact that they did not considered my Bachelor but my DUT bothered me. A friend was in the same situation and told me about Newcastle. We were really bored in France; we needed a new environment to perform in our studies, to boost us. England was perfect not too far and not too fare from France. The English mentality seduced us as well.
What advice would you give to someone who wants to travel to this country? Do not be afraid, England is less than two hours away from France but you can live a different experience from France. First thing first, come beforehand to choose a place to live, it is better to found a house share so you can socialize more easily. Opening a bank account here does not involve lots of paper work, having a mobile phone with a contract too. Do not take landlines phones, it is a bad deal. Visit the town and try to know the best places for the nightlife, this way you might socialize with people you encountered at school or at work.
What do you like about this country? People are not as formal as they are in France. For example: in France talking about money is taboo whereas here it is not. I am a young student and I like to party, here I enjoy it more than in Paris. Getting dress for a man is not as expensive as in France and we can find any clothing style. Finally, if you've got a certain university degree, good jobs are reachable and are waiting for you.
How did you learn to speak English? At college from “la 6ieme” until my last year in DUT, I did not need any additional English lessons. However I undertook the TOEIC test before leaving for my first year in England, I scored 795. If it is below 750 maybe additional English lessons might not be a bad idea.
It is often heard that French people are bad at English. How would you react to this statement? From my experience, this statement sounds quite right. Even some French people living in English speaking countries sometimes struggle to have a long conversation in English. In France, I had the occasion to chat with students from business schools or with master, they are barely able to have a conversation in English. So yes, I would tend to think that this statement is quite right.
Is there anything that would make you come back to France? Except exceptional careers prospects … not at the moment. I mean I love France but I prefer staying in England at the moment.
Anything to add? Well, going abroad is definitely something to experience, especially in our student life when we do not have too many constraints. And whichever country you might choose, speaking English might be a life savvier since, it is learned in most of countries around the world. So go and practice it on the field or at home.

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire